Thursday, April 29, 2010

Birth Certificates

When I get the extra money to order copies of vital records, I already know the first two I'd like to get my hands on: Walter Clinton Ferguson Jr, and Lucy Ellen Craddock.

Walter for the adoption thing {as mentioned in the last post}, and then Lucy {my great-grandmother} because I cannot locate her before she married Frank O'Rourke, and there is a reference to a Mattie Nichols on the 1930's Census record. Aunt Mary Ellen pointed it out to me in a letter she wrote, and its gotten me curious. The Census shows that Mattie's relationship to Frank was mother-in-law, but the last names are different. Lucy was most definitely a Craddock - that much is for certain. We're just not sure who Mattie is.

If only I could get up to Birmingham, AL to peruse the library up there and visit the cemeteries. Why must work get in the way?

2 comments:

  1. I know! I need to get certified so I can do this for work and fun. :)

    Who knows what you'll find on the vital records. Prepare yourself for the dreaded "Unknown" on the death certificates. I'm always plagued by that one!

    Maybe Mattie is Lucy's mother who re-married? Or maybe Frank had a first marriage? Maybe Lucy had a first marriage? The possibilities are endless! Have you tried looking for Lucy in the census under Lucy Nichols before she married? Maybe her mother re-married while Lucy was young and Lucy kept her father's name?

    Just throwing those possibilities at you. It's nice having someone to shoot around ideas with finally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I did find out talking to my Great-Aunt that Mattie is Lucy's mother who was remarried. Now, I need to see if I can find them on census records. The problem is she is listed as Mary, Jane, Margaret, and Martha in different places. So, I'm having to do multiple searches. I haven't really had a chance to look for her since I found that information, but its where I'm going to go next.

    I'm glad someone is around to talk to about this too. I tried talking with my parents this weekend when we were together for my brother's graduation, but every time I'd mention something I'm doing they would just kinda roll their eyes at me thinking I'm being silly. *sighs* I hate it.

    ReplyDelete