Monday, April 19, 2010

Ferguson vs MacVean

This sounds like an Irish Pub boxing match. :)

I'm not sure why, but I feel the need to explain why I'm going back on the Ferguson line and not he MacVean. Though it should go without saying why, I feel compelled to.

My Grandma Thelma was born a Ferguson - not a MacVean. Her father was Walter Ferguson Jr, his father was Walter Ferguson Sr, and so on. Where did the MacVean come in? When she was 11, she was adopted by her aunt Perlia MacVean {nee Dopp} and raised in that family. I could go back in the family that raised her, but they are not my relatives by blood besides Perlia's descendants. Which is why I'm going back in the Ferguson line.

In regards to her adoptive family, I am curious as to see if there were any adoption papers drawn up, and if in 1928 there was a record of her taking the name MacVean. I have very little information as to what happened to her biological brother and sisters and who adopted them, and I'd love to find out more about that process. From what I understand, they were all relatively young when their parents died, and only Thelma was taken in by Perlia and Percy.

These is a few questions I would love to have answered.

1 comment:

  1. I came across your blog by accident actually, but was able to get a little info for you from my mother who was Vrooman Dopp's daughter. She said that Thelma had a:

    Brother - Clinton Sheffield Ferguson who was adopted by a family, but he ran away. My mom said he did have a son by his first wife in Tennessee (Chattanooga ?) He married a 2nd time and had more children by his 2nd wife.

    Sister - Wilda (will try and get her last name). She was adoped by a family from just north of Toronto Canada.

    Sister - Kay Johnson. She was adopted by the Johnson family in Broadalbin, NY. She never married and never had children. Her adoptive parents never told her she was adopted.

    Sister- Viola Blair. She married David Blair and they had one son, Douglas. My mom thinks they lived somewhere in NY, but not around Fulton County.

    You may have this info already, or even have more than this. I've heard my parents talk about aunt Perlia and Percy and how they adopted Thelma, and how sad it was that the kids weren't kept together. They said that Thelma's mom died of pneumonia, and Walter gave the kids up for adoption after she passed away. Sad!

    ReplyDelete